Living Abroad with a car in the UK

We have over a decade's experience helping non-UK residents insure their UK vehicle back at home. Ensure your car is protected from fire, theft and damage whilst you are away, and make sure you can simply and seamlessly get straight back into driving as normal when you return to visit.
Living Abroad with a car in the UK Header Image

Our team are here to help

92% of our customers get a cheaper quote over the phone

92% of our customers get a cheaper quote over the phone


Non-UK Resident Car Insurance from Keith Michaels

Before moving abroad, you’ll no doubt be going through a huge, comprehensive checklist – and on that checklist will be what to do with your car while you’re away. Talk to the experts here at Keith Michaels about your options.

UK Car Insurance While Living Abroad

When living overseas, your UK vehicle needs to be insured. If left uninsured or declared ‘off the road’ your vehicle could be vulnerable to fire, theft and other damages. Although it can be hard to find an insurance provider to insure a non-UK resident, Keith Michaels have been providing UK vehicle insurance to international customers for over a decade and understand exactly what you require.

Living Abroad with a car in the UK

UK Address For UK Car insurance

Expats living abroad who have a car in the UK will need to have a residential address in the UK in order to insure it. If you need to insure a car in the UK while you are abroad, but no longer have a UK address, get in touch with the team at Keith Michaels to find out how we can help.

Does it matter where I will be based abroad?

Regardless of whatever country you live in or are moving to, so long as you have a UK car, Keith Michaels can provide you with car insurance. This means that when you return to the UK you’ll already be insured and won’t have to go through the hassle of arranging temporary car insurance and re-taxing your car.

Why choose Keith Michaels for Non-UK resident car insurance?

As one of our international car insurance customers, not only will you receive our competitive expat car insurance, but you’ll also benefit from our committed UK customer care team. We are dedicated to ensuring your expat car insurance policy is set up as quickly and easily as possible so you won’t have to worry about it.

Along with our comprehensive expat insurance cover, you’ll also benefit from;

  • Fast and time-effective processing
  • Friendly and helpful support staff (that speak English)
  • Cost effective policies with extensive cover
  • Quick and easy policies
  • Instant cover
  • Flexible payment options

  • Our team of international insurance specialists are experts in expat car insurance. Discover how an international car insurance policy with Keith Michaels can benefit you.

    or call us on 0208 329 1150

    You can also email one of our expat brokers if you’re overseas: [email protected]

    The Keith Michaels Difference

    • 30 years’ experience
    • Every customer is treated as an individual, not a policy number
    • We are a UK-based office, not a call centre
    • We are completely independent from any insurance company
    • All policies are looked at on their own merits to find you the best policy available

    Why Choose Keith Michaels?

    Living Abroad with a car in the UK

    Direct Contacts

    Jason Robery
    0208 329 1168

    Gary Hamilton
    0208 329 1165

    Living Abroad with a car in the UK

    Scheme Details

    We have specific insurance schemes designed exclusively for Expat car drivers and owners.

    Living Abroad with a car in the UK


    • Foreign NCB acepted, but must be in English
    • Policies available to non-resident clients
    • Previous driving discounts
    Living Abroad with a car in the UK


    • Priority claims management
    • Policies are available to returning expats
    • Staff have over 10 years’ expat experience
    Living Abroad with a car in the UK

    Get in Touch for your Non-UK Resident Car Insurance Quote Today

    International Car Insurance FAQs

    I am an expat looking for car insurance, what do I need to know?

    Whether looking for car insurance to drive in the UK or abroad, driving as an expat can present a huge number of questions. See our expat car insurance FAQs to get all the information you need.

    If I have been abroad for a long time without driving, will I lose my NCB?

    Usually, a no claims bonus expires after two years if there has been a break from driving. Expats living abroad for two years or more, without taking out car insurance in their country of residence, are likely to lose their NCB in the UK.

    Can I get temporary car insurance as a non-UK resident?

    Yes, some insurance companies will provide temporary insurance for non-UK residents, however, you must be of legal driving age in the UK and have a full EU or international driving licence.

    Will you honour international NCB?

    Many UK insurance providers don’t honour international no claims bonus, and some may even refuse to insure international drivers altogether. By insuring with Keith Michaels, your car and NCB will be protected, because we ensure you receive the NCB you deserve irrespective of which country you acquired it in. Find out more about foreign No Claims Bonus insurance.

    Can I insure my UK car to take it abroad with me?

    Many UK insurance providers require drivers to have a UK residential address in order to insure them, however at Keith Michaels; we can insure a UK-registered car in Europe for up to 180 days. Drivers must have a permanent address in Europe to qualify. Get in touch to learn more about European Car Insurance from Keith Michaels.