Taking a UK car to Europe

Keith Michaels' international insurance specialists arrange cover for up to 180 days of European travel for those with a permanent address in Europe.
Taking a UK car to Europe Header Image

Our team are here to help

92% of our customers get a cheaper quote over the phone

92% of our customers get a cheaper quote over the phone


Keith Michaels provides extensive insurance policies to all of our customers, even if you take your car abroad. Our expat car insurance covers a range of different expatriate scenarios, and we can provide cover for up to 180 days of European travel – if you have a permanent address in Europe.

Why Choose Keith Michaels for European Car Insurance

Most UK insurance providers will only insure UK residents but Keith Michaels are different.

We offer only the highest quality car insurance to our expat customers, coupled with our dedicated customer care team. Our team of international insurance specialists are experts in expat car insurance. Discover how an international car insurance policy with Keith Michaels can benefit you. Talk to one of our leading expat insurance agents today.

Taking a UK car to Europe

Taking a Car to Europe after Brexit

After Brexit, drivers from the UK will need extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK drivers may need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the EU and EEA. If you’re a UK expat living abroad, the Government recommends that you exchange your UK driving licence for a local EU driving licence. You can read more here.

or call us on 0208 329 1150

You can also email one of our expat brokers if you’re overseas: [email protected]

The Keith Michaels Difference

  • 30 years’ experience
  • Every customer is treated as an individual, not a policy number
  • We are a UK-based office, not a call centre
  • We are completely independent from any insurance company
  • All policies are looked at on their own merits to find you the best policy available

Why Choose Keith Michaels?

Taking a UK car to Europe

Direct Contacts

Jason Robery
0208 329 1168

Gary Hamilton
0208 329 1165

Taking a UK car to Europe

Scheme Details

We have specific insurance schemes designed exclusively for UK drivers and owners going abroad.

Taking a UK car to Europe


  • Foreign NCB acepted, but must be in English
  • Policies available to non-resident clients
  • Previous driving discounts
Taking a UK car to Europe


  • Priority claims management
  • Policies are available to returning expats
  • Staff have over 10 years’ expat experience
Taking a UK car to Europe

Get in Touch for your European Car Insurance Quote Today

Taking a Car to Europe & Insurance FAQs

What is the green card system?

Individuals looking to travel, or migrate to Europe for a limited time only, have the option to be insured using the green card system, an International Insurance Card. However, this has a limited period of cover and only provides basic road traffic accident (RTA) insurance. This is unsuitable for many who have to travel to Europe from the UK, who wish to get comprehensive cover for a longer term.

What paperwork do I need to bring in my car to drive in Europe?

When travelling in Europe drivers need to bring various documents with them. This includes;

  • Car registration (V5)
  • Full driving licence
  • Proof of insurance
  • Breakdown policy paperwork
  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
  • Travel insurance paperwork

How fast can I drive on the German Autobahns?

Plenty of foreign drivers in Europe are keen to get straight onto the Autobahns to finally – legally – drive as fast as they like. What many people don’t realise, however, is that only around one eighth of the network has no speed limit. The rest either have a speed limit of 81mph, or a variable speed limit. So, if you find yourself driving on an Autobahn, pay attention to the speed signs.

What equipment do I need to bring in my car to drive in Europe?

France in particular is well known for its strict rules about what must be in your car while driving French roads, until recently the French government stipulated that drivers also bring a personal breathalyser. Throughout Europe, required equipment includes;

  • Enough reflective jackets for all passengers (kept in the main car space)
  • First Aid Kit
  • Headlamp beam deflectors
  • Warning Triangle
  • GB Car sticker if you don’t have a GB Euro number plate

To be fully prepared, however, it is also recommended that you take a fire extinguisher, torch, replacement bulbs and a road map or sat nav.

IMPORTANT: Drivers heading to the bigger French cities such as Paris, Lyon, Marseille and Toulouse need to display a CRIT’Air (clean air) sticker. Without one, you are liable to receive a fine.