Car Insurance for New Zealand Drivers in the UK

As a New Zealand driver in the UK, you’ll need car insurance to legally drive on roads and highways. With over 30 years’ experience, Keith Michaels can arrange specialist car insurance for New Zealand drivers in the UK at a competitive price, so you can enjoy driving on Britain’s roads.
Car Insurance for New Zealand Drivers in the UK Header Image

Our team are here to help

92% of our customers get a cheaper quote over the phone

92% of our customers get a cheaper quote over the phone


Moving to the UK from New Zealand? Keith Michaels can help

As a New Zealand driver in the UK, there are certain rules and conditions of the road you will have to adapt to during your stay. One thing you’ll need is car insurance. Keith Michaels has more than 30 years’ experience of delivering specialist car insurance for expats from all over the world, including New Zealand drivers.

If the UK is now your permanent home, or you’re visiting on a longer-term work contract, you’ll need to arrange car insurance to legally use the roads in the UK. Just like in New Zealand, cars are used as the main mode of transport in the UK, so having access to an insured vehicle can be essential. 

No History of Car Insurance in the UK? Don’t Worry

You can arrange car insurance with a valid driving licence and by providing details of any previous motoring convictions or accidents in New Zealand. We’ll also need details about the car you want to insure, and we may ask for some additional information to fully understand and assess any individual risks.

Most companies are likely to charge higher premiums for arranging car insurance for New Zealand drivers in the UK, while others may dismiss your quote completely. However, Keith Michaels has more than three decades of experience in arranging specialist car insurance for people planning to move to the UK or visiting for the long term. We consider each individual case on its own merit before searching for the most suitable insurance policy for you as a New Zealand driver.

Import Car Insurance for Your New Zealand Car

At Keith Michaels, we understand the upheaval involved in moving to a new country, like the UK. We acknowledge some people may wish to bring their car or vehicle with them, even from far-away places like New Zealand.

Also referred to as parallel imports, the specifications of your New Zealand car will be similar to vehicles from the UK domestic market. Many insurers refuse to cover parallel imports because they believe they pose a greater risk than UK-based cars. Not us. Keith Michaels will support you with your New Zealand import and secure a bespoke insurance policy just for you. We have been arranging import insurance for over 20 years, working with various connections in the import industry to build up knowledge and experience.

or call us on 0208 329 1150

The Keith Michaels Difference

  • 30 years’ experience
  • Every customer is treated as an individual, not a policy number
  • We are a UK-based office, not a call centre
  • We are completely independent from any insurance company
  • All policies are looked at on their own merits to find you the best policy available

Why Choose Keith Michaels For Car Insurance?

Car Insurance for New Zealand Drivers in the UK

Direct Contacts

Jason Robery
0208 329 1168

Gary Hamilton
0208 329 1165

Or email our expat team on [email protected]

Car Insurance for New Zealand Drivers in the UK

This Scheme is Perfect For:

  • People expatriating from New Zealand to the UK
  • New Zealand residents with long-term work placements
  • Cars imported from New Zealand
Car Insurance for New Zealand Drivers in the UK

Discounts For

  • Previous driving discounts
  • Multi-car policies
Car Insurance for New Zealand Drivers in the UK


  • Priority claims management
  • Staff have over 20 years of import experience and 10 years of expat experience
  • Foreign NCB accepted
  • Policies available to non-resident clients
Car Insurance for New Zealand Drivers in the UK

Get in Touch for A Car Insurance Quote Today

New Zealand Immigrant & Long-Term Resident Car Insurance FAQs

I’m a New Zealand Driver. Should I apply for a UK Licence?

You can drive in the UK for up to 12 months on an in-date licence from a number of designated countries, including New Zealand.

If you’re applying for permanent settler status, or plan on staying more than 12 months, you’ll need to apply for a UK licence.

The UK and New Zealand have an existing driving licence exchange partnership, so you won’t need to take a British driving test. However, you will need to apply for a UK licence via GOV.UK, complete the relevant forms, and return the following items:

  • D1 application form
  • Passport, travel documents or identity cards (this will be returned)
  • Passport-sized colour photo
  • Driver’s licence (this won’t be returned)
  • A fee

Are any Specific New Zealand Cars Banned in the UK?

There are no specific cars banned in the UK. However, your New Zealand car must adhere to rigorous test requirements that identify its legality and roadworthiness.

If you are planning on importing your car from New Zealand, you’ll need to complete an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) test before it can be driven in the UK. This process will highlight any security faults or features, especially if it has been modified, that do not meet UK safety criteria. Any faults or failures will need to be addressed before the test is resubmitted.

Otherwise, all domestic vehicles should be marked as safe to drive by checking all windows and mirrors are clean, and that the lights and brake lights work. Drivers can be pulled over by the police if their vision is obscured or lights are not working.

Do I Need to Make Changes to My New Zealand Car Before Importing to the UK?

No, you don’t need to make any modifications or changes to your New Zealand vehicle before importing it to the UK. Any changes you do carry out could cause an increase in your insurance policy. Additionally, any vehicle modifications that have been made will need to comply with UK legislation and road safety measures.

Within 14 days of your car arriving in the UK, you’ll must notify HM Revenue and Customs and pay any VAT and duty required. You may also be required to complete an IVA.

You must also notify the DVLA so you can get number plates made up for your New Zealand vehicle. The process can take up to 6 weeks. Once the plates arrive, you’ll need to attach them to your vehicle.

As a New Zealand Driver, What Else Do I Need to Do Before I Can Drive in the UK?

Remember, car insurance is not compulsory in New Zealand, but it is in the UK. Providing you’re leaving New Zealand with a full licence, you’ll need to ensure the following steps are done before you can legally drive in the UK:

Depending on whether you’re importing or purchasing a car within the UK, you’ll need to establish the car’s roadworthiness through:

  • A valid MOT certificate (for cars 3 years old+)
  • An IVA (if imported and required by the DVLA)

Once a suitable car is available, you’ll then need to ensure you have completed the following:

  • Registered the car in your name
  • Acquired valid insurance
  • Paid road tax on the car

I Have a Good No Claims Discount with my New Zealand Insurer. What happens to it in the UK?

Not all New Zealand car insurance policies offer no claims discounts. If yours does, Keith Michaels is one of few insurers in the UK who recognise no claims bonuses from insurers across the world including New Zealand, so if you have a good bank of time it’s not wasted.

As a New Zealand driver, if you want to ensure your no claims bonus is considered, you’ll need to provide evidence. Additionally, when you speak to one of our team, they’ll be able to determine your situation.

You can also temporarily add someone to your insurance, and it won’t affect your no-claims bonus.

What are the implications of not having car insurance for New Zealand drivers in the UK?

If you are caught driving a vehicle you are not insured to drive, you could receive a fixed penalty of £300 and six penalty points on your licence. If the case goes to court, you could receive an unlimited fine and be disqualified from driving altogether.

The police also have the power to seize and even destroy a vehicle if it has been driven without insurance.

Also, any vehicle kept on UK public roads or land must be insured by law. If your car is not used and kept on private ground, you should declare it ‘off the road’ with a Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN) from the DVLA.

Can a New Zealand driver be added to a UK insurance policy?

If you’re visiting the UK from New Zealand with a full driving licence and will be borrowing a friend or relative’s car, you can be added to their insurance policy as a named driver.

Keith Michaels provides temporary car insurance for visiting drivers from all around the world including New Zealand.